- Telephone 0131 226 2212
- Food served Mon–Thu 11am–2.30pm, 5–11.30pm [Takeaway until 1am]; Fri/Sat 11am–11.30pm [Takeaway until 3am]. Closed Sun. [Extended in Festival].
- Average price £6.50 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.myturkishkitchen.co.uk
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Tucked away on a lane off Rose Street, Turkish Kitchen is unassuming but full of heart. A garlic and herb aroma fills the air and whets the appetite – an appetite that’s much needed for the more than generous portions. Start with a selection of mezze, prepared while you wait. Thick, nutty hummus, grilled hellim cheese with a red cabbage salad, prawns baked with mushrooms and tomatoes, all mopped up with as much hot, oily pitta bread as you can eat. If you’re not full to bursting after this, there’s a wide selection of lamb, chicken, kebab and vegetarian mains to choose from. The hunkar begendi, char-grilled marinated lamb served with creamed aubergine and topped with roasted vegetables, is hearty and tasty, and paticlan sarma, aubergine baked with feta, tomato and herbs, is juicy and fragrant. All mains are served with a portion of brown rice and salad, and if they prove too much for you, chef Seyhmus Aslanalp will pop any leftovers into a doggy bag. Try, however, to save a little room for some baklava; it’s worth it.
- High point: Lovingly cooked and presented food
- Low point: Uninspiring decor
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Traditional Turkish music
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2009
- House wine: £12 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Turkish Kitchen./5 from RSS feed of these comments