Lucky 7 Canteen
- Box office 0141 331 6227
- General enquiries 0141 331 6227
- Opening times Closed Sun/Mon.
- Bar open Tue–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–3am; Sun/Mon closed
- Food served Tue 5–10pm, Wed–Sat noon–11pm.
- Average price £9.50 (set lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.77
- Website www.lucky7canteen.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Billing itself as a canteen rather than a restaurant, Lucky 7 has a distinct ‘distressed tenement chic’ aesthetic. The former townhouse has been re-imagined as a cross between a European squat and an East Village hangout with artfully peeling mismatched wallpaper, retro knick-knacks and exposed brickwork. Equal care and attention has been paid to the concept and presentation of the food, but with a much more polished and pulled-together result. The signature Lucky7s are at the heart of the menu: burgers, fish and chips and venison casserole for the carnivores, and risotto, veggie tart, squash feta and lentil salad or bean burgers as the meat-free options. All are priced at a quirky but reasonable £7.77. Beyond this, the kitchen turns out decent renditions of bistro classics and daily specials, with plenty of vegetarian options, such as vegetable hotpot topped with creamy dauphinoise potatoes and served in a dinky enamel saucepan. It’s worth sampling the kitsch-inspired desserts – the double nougat is particularly popular. And the short cocktail menu makes entertaining reading even if you’re not partaking.
- High point: Appealing and quirky surrounding
- Low point: High table/low seat
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Acoustic/ electronic pop- from John Martyn to Daughter
- Capacity: 72
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best restaurants in Edinburgh and Glasgow for cheap eating in January9 Jan 2012
Dining out options that won't break the bank
EDINBURGH The Mosque Kitchen Now relocated from its former al fresco spot outside Edinburgh’s mosque, the café-style Mosque Kitchen still serves a fine range of halal meat and vegetable curries in no-fuss polystyrene dishes for under £5 including…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of Lucky 7 Canteen./5 from RSS feed of these comments