- Box office 0141 423 1411
- General enquiries 0141 423 1411
- Opening times Tue–Thu 11am–10pm; Fri & Sat 10am–10pm; Sun 10am–6pm. Closed Mon.
- Bar open Tue–Sat 11am–11pm; Sun 11.30am–5pm
- Food served Tue–Thu 11am–9pm; Fri & Sat 10am–9.30pm; Sun 10am–5pm. Open late last Sun of every month.
- Pre-theatre times 1pm–7.30pm
- Average price £11.50 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.50
- Website www.cookiescotland.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
It's a simple concept – a café style venue, a kitchen for all to see and a head chef not bound by a printed menu. Since its opening Cookie has succeeded in being a bit different. It is home of Chef Wars, where once a month chefs from around the city cook for the lucky few who manage to get booked in. In summer local growers can take part in a bartering system – if chef wants your cabbages exchange them for points. Local and ethical is the ethos here and for the punter that means really fresh dishes. The dinner menu is found on a blackboard, created daily by chef and inspired by any ingredients which come his way (often from Italy). At breakfast there are some set choices – the Stornoway Tower is huge and made from scratch. For lunch there will be a pasta and risotto dish of the day and the Arnold Bennet omelette is a good hearty choice. Cookie is warm and friendly – it has its own wine, off sales and a discreet basket of toys for the kids. It simply works.
- High point: Great fresh cooking
- Low point: Getting a parking space nearby can be tricky
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz/singer songwriters/pop - they change the tunes in relation to the customers that are in
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 36
- Open since: 2009
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Glasgow29 Mar 2012
The best all-rounders in the west, plus a few specific breakfast-item highlights
Café Gandolfi 64 Albion Street, 552 6813, cafegondolfi.com Breakfast served: Mon-Sat 8am-noon; Sun 9am-noon. The long-standing, Scottish cuisine-focused eatery has beefed up its breakfasts in recent years, resulting in a menu with eight different egg…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of Cookie./5 from RSS feed of these comments