- Telephone 0141 221 5530
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Bar open Mon–-Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–-Sat noon–-9pm; Sun 12.30-–9pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price 2-for-1 burgers Sun–Fri 5pm; 3 tapas £9.95 Mon–Fri til 5pm
- Website theblacksparrow.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The Black Sparrow attracts sophisticated patrons to its ornate and über cool abode. It has an old-fashioned bourbon bar look, with smoochy jazz/ambient beats mellowing the airwaves. It’s actually quite romantic. Dark burgundy leather studded booths, equestrian art, exposed brickwork and a grand bar stocked to the architectural rafters with exotic rums, gins, vodkas, malts and bourbons. There’s a mezzanine space for larger groups, private hire basement venue and seasonal beer garden out back for trapping any sun. The regularly 2-for-1 Gourmet Sparrow burgers (beef, chicken or veggie) are naughty-but-nice affairs, oozing a variety of delectable toppings such as blue cheese, caramelized onions and bacon all packed into a sourdough bun. Sample tapas deal of smoked mackerel pâté, vegetarian haggis fritters and blue cheese gratin mushrooms is a generous trio artistically presented atop a wooden bat. A must try are the cocktails – so refreshing and sublime you may want several.
- High point: Intelligent food and drink in chatty surroundings
- Low point: Tapas a tad over-seasoned
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, ambient house beats, blues
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 35 (mezzanine)
- Open since: 2008
- House wine: £16.70 per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar Crawls: Glasgow - The Sauchiehall Street Saunter18 Nov 2011
Making the most of Glasgow city centre drinking
Both ‘pub crawl’ and ‘Sauchiehall Street’ can evoke images of large groups of revellers staggering from one ropey watering hole to the next, the night hurtling towards a climax of kebab sauce and lost cloakroom tickets. Well this route aims to redress…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of Black Sparrow./5 from RSS feed of these comments