Kember & Jones Fine Food Emporium
- Box office 0141 337 3851
- General enquiries 07717 828930
- Food served Mon–-Fri 8am–-10pm; Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 9am–-6pm
- Average price £12 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.kemberandjones.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Lauded as a West End gem for some years now, this upmarket 34-seat café definitely encourages indulgence. Wander in past a deli counter full of temptingly concocted cakes and a shop full of culinary inspiration, and find a seat on the snug mezzanine floor or tucked in by the windows. The setting is simple but welcoming and the food is excellent, with the freshly baked sourdough a particular highlight. Arabica coffee is roasted weekly in-house and is sure to satisfy, while the Green and Blacks hot chocolate is lavishly rich. The varied and plentiful menu includes platters, abundant salads, seasonal soup and an evening special which is revised daily. The salmon is delicately dressed, while the chorizo, manchego and paprika-smoked potato salad is infused with balsamic vinegar and sunblush tomatoes. The chocolate and beetroot cake is a gooey treat, with a wide range of desserts also changing regularly.
- High point: The varied menu will keep you coming back for more
- Low point: No reservations and limited seating can mean a bit of a wait
Established in 2004, Kember & Jones is something of a gourmet superstore. Everything about it speaks of quality: cabinets laden with fine continental delicacies, huge terracotta bowls of olives beside organic artisan bread (it stocks the delicious Poilâne) and a table of hip cookbooks that invite browsing as you wait. Choose from authentic pastas and sauces, chutneys and jams, Rococo and Prestat chocolates, luxury mueslis and cheeses, charcuterie, home-made pâtés and salads from the deli counter. Always busy, expect to queue.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- Delivery: Extensive outside catering menu and price list. [West End delivery usually free - though for catering rather than takeaway deliveries]
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Indie/pop/folk mix
- Capacity: 34
- Largest group: Contact for details
- Open since: 2004
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Kember & Jones Fine Food Emporium./5 from RSS feed of these comments