Roots and Fruits
- Telephone 0141 339 3077
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–7pm; Sat 7.30am–6pm; Sun 10am–6.30pm.
- Average price £8.50 (lunch); £8.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.rootsfruitsandflowers.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
If you want a measure of deli/greengrocer Roots and Fruits’ repute as a source of high-quality produce, just ask countless respected cafés and restaurants that use them as a supplier. But a sample of said goodness needn’t only be taken second hand, thanks to the Great Western Road main outlet’s small but growing café operation, serviced in-house by the downstairs kitchen. One among just 12 seats may prove hard to claim, but settle in once you do for a richly varied array of continental-flavoured fresh-as-the-day delights. There’s always a curry, two soups, salmon and dill fishcakes and Spanish tortilla to choose from, each of which can be complemented with sides aplenty from Greek salad to rosemary and thyme roasted potatoes. Freshly baked cakes can come in creative flavours from coffee and walnut to cranachan. If you loved your lunch enough, take all its components home and eat it again tomorrow.
- High point: So healthy it hurts
- Low point: Hectic service
See Byres Road branch
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Folk
- Capacity: 12
- Open since: Cafe seating 2012, actual business 1990s
Reviews & features
Neighbourhood Watch: Great Western Road, Glasgow19 Dec 2011
Including The Captain's Rest, The Belle and Lupe Pintos
What’s it like? One big road full of pubs, cafés and little shops. Flats are mostly old tenements above the bars, restaurants and stores which go up most of the road. Where’s it, like? In the West End, a stone’s throw from Woodlands and Byres Road.