Porto & Fi
- Telephone 0131 551 1900
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–7.30pm; Sun 10am–5.30pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.portofi.com
Jump to comments (4)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
A crowd-pleasing menu, friendly service and genuine interest in using local Newhaven and Leith-based suppliers create a sense of community around this cheery café-bistro. The simple décor complements the elegant, airy proportions of the former bank premises (check out the shop in the old vault downstairs), not to mention the sweeping views across the Firth of Forth. The menu ranges from healthy or less-so breakfasts (served until noon or all day on Sundays), starters or lighter meals such as salt and pepper squid and main courses that change seasonally but generally feature a quiche of the day, fish pie and a heartily beefy but slightly under-seasoned burger. A glass counter stacked with cakes and puddings provides little hope of escaping the temptation of chocolate beetroot cake or a homely banoffee pie.
- High point: Food that’s satisfying and well-sourced
- Low point: Busy for weekend brunches
This deli café has filled the gap in Newhaven for a friendly eaterie producing good food made from locally sourced, quality produce. Weekend brunch is particularly popular, but this shouldn't detract from the extremely competent dinner service. The deli counter houses a range of cheeses, while the well-stocked shop sells fresh bread, dry goods, oils and preserves, as well as fruit and vegetables, and serves as a drop-off point for Phantassie Farm vegetable boxes.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Varied pop and easy listening
- Capacity: 46
- Largest group: 14
- Open since: 2008
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 4 reviews of Porto & Fi./5 from RSS feed of these comments