Khublai Khan Mongolian Barbecue Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 555 0005
- Food served Mon–Thu 6–11pm; Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Sat 5–11pm; Sun noon–2.30pm, 5–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 6–7pm; Sat/Sun 5–7pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £20.95 (Sun–Fri ); £22.95 (Sat)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.khublaikhan.co.uk
Jump to comments (4)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Leith’s Mongolian outpost welcomes a new owner with ambitions to add a little more polish to proceedings. Man v Food fans shouldn’t worry, however, as the all-you-can-eat barbecue feast remains centre stage and safari park exotic meats are still very much to the fore. A DIY assembly line stretches out from rice and vegetables past an impressive array of spices and sauces ending with cubes of zebra, camel and springbok, with more familiar cuts for the less adventurous. Each bowlful is expertly sautéed on the semi-circular griddle, with a separate vegetarian-friendly hot plate upstairs. For the indecisive, there are easy-to-follow recipes including the playfully titled bobby’s bum buster – not for the faint hearted. Bookending the barbecue, kangaroo haggis and wild boar parcel starters promise slightly more than they deliver, and golden syrup sponge and rhubarb crumble desserts seem in line for a makeover. With a well-stocked bar and a long dining hall that is easily configured for large parties, this quirky novelty act should continue to be a crowd pleaser.
- High point: Plenty to talk about at this fun night out
- Low point: Congestion at the spice and sauce counter at busier times
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- Delivery: from £1.50
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mongolian ambient/mood
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: Whole restaurant
- Open since: June 1995
- House wine: £14.75 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Khublai Khan Mongolian Barbecue Restaurant./5 from RSS feed of these comments