The Regent Bar
- Box office 0131 661 8198
- General enquiries 0131 661 8198
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £10 (lunch); £10 (evening meal)
- Website www.theregentbar.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Its unusual shape and slightly offbeat location are matched by The Regent’s leftfield tagline as ‘Edinburgh’s Gay Real Ale Pub’, and it successfully manages to smoothly blend both factors of this vaguely oxymoronic claim. Indeed, it doesn’t take either part of its title too seriously and its cosy and hop-filled interior provides a warm refuge for all comers – although prudes might be mildly offended by the occasional reference to 'Knobgobbler' ale. As well as an impressive and ever-changing selection of guest beers there is also a good line-up of regular drafts and bottles, and a decent pub grub menu that offers unpretentious and well done dishes such as shepherd’s pie and smoked haddock risotto. All these combine to make The Regent a welcome addition to an otherwise fairly dry part of town.
- High point: Fans of flamboyant campery could be disappointed
- Low point: A traditional pub, with a twist
Edinburgh's gay real ale pub. Relaxed and comfortable, The Regent is not the archetypal gay bar. It has been voted Edinburgh Pub Of The Year in both 2008 & 2010 by the Campaign for Real Ale. Food is available all day until 10pm and dogs are welcome, though unfortunately due to the alcohol license, children under 5 years are not allowed.
Text supplied by third party.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: iPod shuffle of pop and oldies
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2004
- House wine: £11.90 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Social evenings for lesbian and bisexual ladies, with regular meetings to plan activities, network and maybe even meet someone special.