Restaurant Mark Greenaway
- Telephone 0131 2261155
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2.30pm; 5.30–10pm. Closed Sun/ Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5.30 – 6.45pm.
- Average price £16.50 (set lunch); £32 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.50/ £20 3 course
- Website www.markgreenaway.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Famed for his television appearances on the Great British Menu, in 2012 Mark Greenaway relocated his restaurant to a new city-centre venue. There are grand plans afoot but for now the stylish and muted interior plays second fiddle to the main star here – the food. Greenaway’s contemporary style concentrates on employing modern cooking techniques to create exceptional dishes from the best seasonal and locally sourced ingredients. This is perfectly demonstrated by dishes like sous-vide Goosnargh duck breast and duck leg croquettes, elevated by watermelon and tarragon jus, or a variety of tender cuts in ‘a tasting of Borders lamb’. Knowledgeable staff are happy to advise on appropriate wine choices and you can even venture down to the cellar to make your selection. Mark claims that his main strength is his desserts, which is certainly evident in his peanut caramel cheesecake, a heavenly combination of shortbread, toffee sauce, roasted peanuts and iced parfait. The market menu promises the same outstanding quality at a very reasonable price.
- High point: A menu that cannot be faulted
- Low point: Can be difficult to get a table
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- Private dining: Plans for private dining room in basement for 12, tbc
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2011 (2013 in new location)
- House wine: £20 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Hawke and Hunter unveils new signature restaurant7 Mar 2011
Polished, relaxed, and the food is absolutely fabulous
Put on those designer threads and shiny new shoes, the new restaurant at Hawke and Hunter has landed. It’s polished. It’s relaxed. And the food is absolutely fabulous. This elegant townhouse with its chic cocktail and whisky bars has been working the…
Edinburgh's Atrium closes its doors and Hawke & Hunter opens a new dining room17 Feb 2011
Scottish food news February 2011
Surprise and sadness fell over the Edinburgh restaurant scene last week with the news of the closure of Andrew and Lisa Radford’s Atrium and blue restaurants in Saltire Court, above the Traverse Theatre. From stylish, avant-garde beginnings 18 years ago…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 1 review of Restaurant Mark Greenaway./5 from RSS feed of these comments