The Compass Bar
- Telephone 0131 554 1979
- Bar open Sun–Wed 10am-11pm; Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £5.95 soup and sandwich deal (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.thecompassleith.co.uk
Jump to or comments (4)
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Prepare to be swept away by one of the best looking bars in Leith – and it's got stiff competition – because Compass is designed for dramatic effect, with two rooms opened out into one high-ceilinged corner unit, with blood-red walls, a bit of foliage and some nicely exposed brickwork combining for a sense of subtle sophistication. It's a great bar to drink in, with a few cocktails joining a contemporary range of beers, wines and spirits, and an old-fashioned style of service that's cheerful without being obsequious. The food is good, although maybe as far below high-end bistro standard as it is above typical pub fare. The Cullen skink is meaty and the hake fillet in a wine and bacon sauce is nice and tender, although both are somewhat overwhelmingly creamy.
- High point: A great looking drinker's bar
- Low point: Some of the dishes are a bit rich and calorific
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: easy listening
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2004 (2009 under current owner)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 4 reviews of The Compass Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments