The Compass Bar
- Telephone 0131 554 1979
- Bar open Sun–Wed 10am-11pm; Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £5.95 soup and sandwich deal (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.thecompassleith.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
While neighbouring restaurants have come and gone, The Compass has remained a popular haunt for locals looking for a good value meal in this quiet corner near Leith Links. Set in a huge room with high ceilings, scarlet walls and exposed brickwork, tables are well spaced out and despite the size there’s a sense of warmth to the place. While not as ambitious as some of the places on the Shore the food is reliably good pub grub with a seasonal flavour. Daily specials might include haddock stuffed with crab or wild boar sausages, while the old favourites such as steak pie and fish and chips are all popular choices. A good soup and sandwich lunch deal plus a hearty breakfast menu keep the place buzzing throughout the day. There’s also an ever-changing selection of guest ales primarily from Scottish brewers.
- High point: Friendly, efficient service
- Low point: Slightly lonely location
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: easy listening
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2004 (2009 under current owner)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 4 reviews of The Compass Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments