The Bow Bar
- Telephone 0131 226 7667
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–midnight; Sun noon–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2pm
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The house beer may change, and they are experimenting with ageing their own whisky in cask, otherwise it’s business as usual at this stalwart Edinburgh pub. There is no TV or music here, and only two wines are available: one red and one white. What there is, however, is a selection of over 230 malts, plus eight cask and five keg beers, 40 or so bottled beers from around the world and about 20 different gins. There is no shortage of knowledge around, with a number of Heriot Watt University’s brewing and distilling students regularly found working or drinking in here. Fresh pies from Findlays of Portobello are available each day for just £2, and at lunchtime soup comes from the Grain Store restaurant across the road. It might not be fancy, but for a pint and a chat this is one of the city’s finest pubs.
- High point: For cask ale and whisky this is one of the very best in town
- Low point: Not the place to come for cocktails and dancing
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- Provides: Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 60
- Open since: 1984
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle