The Living Room
- Box office 0131 226 0880
- General enquiries 0131 226 0880
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun noon–12.30am
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–12.30am.
- Food served Sun–Wed noon–11pm; Thu–Sat noon–1am.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 3–7pm.
- Average price £20 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.thelivingroom.co.uk
Jump to comments (1)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
The large dining room, filled with business people and tourists easing into the cream leather booths, oozes laid-back sophistication. It is all surface shine, with smart, attentive staff and vases of orchids, but the substance, the food, doesn’t quite measure up to the surroundings. A prettily presented starter of scallops with cauliflower purée is on the bland side but the beer-battered tiger prawns are satisfyingly crunchy. There are plenty of choices for main courses influenced by Asian, Italian, French and British cooking. The crispy duck pancakes contain tender strips of meat, but a halibut fillet with fennel sauce is disappointingly lacklustre. A highlight is the sharing board of desserts, a nice idea for those who want to try all the puddings, with mini crème brûlées, a gooey Eton mess, rich chocolate brownies and a strawberry and chocolate fondue. There’s a comprehensive wine list and cocktail menu but beware when ordering water as it will be bottled rather than tap unless you specify.
- High point: Attractive surroundings
- Low point: Fairly average cooking
The Living Room Edinburgh is a cool and contemporary piano bar and restaurant; an established and stylish venue on Edinburgh's prestigious George Street. The relaxed elegance of the surroundings, high quality fresh food and cocktails, and live pianists combine to provide the perfect setting for all occasions.
The spacious dining room catches some of the buzz of the piano bar without being overwhelmed by it and attracts business lunches as readily as it does couples looking for a romantic night out in one of the restaurant’s booths. The menu changes regularly and home comfort dishes such as the steak and ale pie always feature alongside more adventurous options such as the pan-fried ostrich fillet. Lighter meals, a selection of small plates and sharing platters of snacks are available for smaller appetites or groups of friends.
Whether you are looking for a meal in The Dining room, drinks in The Cocktail bar or a relaxing coffee in The Lounge, The Living Room is ideal for you.
Text supplied by third party.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled and contemporary
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 150
- Open since: 2003
- House wine: £14.55 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Living Room./5 from RSS feed of these comments