Valvona & Crolla Vincaffè
- Telephone 0131 557 0088
- Bar open 7.30 for breakfast
- Food served Sun 11am–8pm; Mon/Tue 9am–9pm; Wed–Sat 9am–9:30pm. [Coffee bar: Mon–Sat 8am–9pm; Sun 11am–6pm]
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 4–7pm
- Average price £21 (lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.95 (£18.95 3 courses)
- Website www.vincaffe.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
A younger sibling of the Valvona & Crolla delicatessen that has been in nearby Leith Walk for almost eight decades, VinCaffè combines Italian passion for food and wine with finest Scottish ingredients. Snacks and takeaways are served downstairs, while the restaurant comes into its own when the thoughts of businessmen and shoppers at upmarket Multrees Walk turn to food. The dark wood interior is offset by a full-length mirror and a picture window ideal for lunchtime people watching. Starters include grilled courgettes with mozzarella, basil and tomato and topped with parmesan cheese that bubbles as it is delivered to the table, or a flavour-packed quail terrine with cranberry and orange chutney. Rump of lamb from the Scottish Borders is given an Italian twist with the addition of pistachio and rosemary pesto, served with potatoes and spinach, while there is no doubting the provenance of cotechino – a ground pork sausage, accompanied by lentils and Modena mustard fruit chutney. Desserts get the Italo-Scottish treatment, exemplified by a crumble that fuses local apples and Italian figs for a satisfying finale.
- High point: Good quality food in pleasant surroundings
- Low point: Multrees Walk lacks life in the evenings
Launched in 2004 to celebrate Valvona & Crolla's 70th Anniversary, VinCaffè is a new concept wine bar, caffè and retail shop in Multrees Walk at the heart of quality shopping in Edinburgh city centre. The shop is packed with Italian food and wine, with takeaway hot drinks and snacks on the ground floor and a fully featured restaurant and wine bar on the 1st floor.
Text supplied by third party.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 52
- Private dining: 8/20
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Cole Porter, soul, jazz, swing, 60s
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2004
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Reviews & features
Ice cream days: growing up in an old school ice cream parlour1 May 2009
Mary Contini of Valvonna & Crolla describes her enviable upbringing
It took two men, my father and Tommy Dougal, to lift up each milk churn and tip it into the stainless-steel vat. It could be four or five churns at a time – even more in July and August when the factory was working at full capacity. Once the 20-gallon…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Valvona & Crolla Vincaffè./5 from RSS feed of these comments