Forth Floor Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 524 8350
- Opening times Mon 10am–6pm; Tue–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 11am–6pm
- Bar open Mon 10am–6pm; Tue–Sat 10am–midnight; Sun 11am–6pm.
- Food served Mon noon–3pm; Tue–Fri noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Sat noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Sun noon–3pm.
- Average price £25 (set lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Website www.harveynichols.com
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
For a city with such spellbinding scenery Edinburgh doesn’t offer many fine-dining tables with a view. The ever showy Harvey Nichols does, however, and what tables they are, peering out over St Andrew Square to the castle and the River Forth. They even dare to brave some tables outside in the Scottish summer. All this could seem like an attempt to woo diners with style over substance. It isn’t. Real thought has gone into their sourcing, contributing to their recent acquisition of two stars from the Sustainable Restaurant Association. Hand-pressed apple juice from Innerleithen; 35-day aged Orkney beef and East Lothian rapeseed oil show attention to detail that also comes across in the cooking, with Executive Chef Stuart Muir equally adept at conjuring up a Cullen skink to please a Moray Firth granny as he is at perking up venison with sour cherries, balsamic beets and walnuts. Eclectic mains steer from poached hake with bone marrow and bordelaise sauce, through to a curry-infused concoction of sea bream and mussels. Desserts are limited, but well chosen. Running a tight ship in such extravagant waters is an art in itself.
- High point: Cooking that often reaches the heady heights of those views
- Low point: Trying to concentrate on your duck ballotine when the castle keeps catching your eye.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- Private dining: Up to 14 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Lounge music, soul, jazz
- Capacity: 47
- Largest group: 51
- Open since: 2002
- House wine: £19.50 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Forth Floor Restaurant./5 from RSS feed of these comments