The Guildford Arms
- Telephone 0131 556 4312
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30–11pm
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30–11pm
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5.30–9.30pm; Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–3pm, 5.30–9.30pm
- Average price £17 (lunch); £19.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.guildfordarms.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
A classic Edinburgh pub whose grand, high-ceilinged interior dates all the way back to 1896, the Guildford Arms sits on the corner of a hidden-away block sporting some of the most beautiful bars in the city. While its charms are of the old-fashioned variety, so are most of its main features. The interior is careworn and the food menu is presented in its best light when focussing on the range of traditional pub grub classics like battered haddock and chips or a thin-crust steak and ale pie. Thai-style crab cakes and a fillet of salmon in red pesto are among the more exotic choices. A balcony dining area called the Gallery offers a more intimate, secluded dining experience, which can be appealing when the main bar area gets too packed.
- High point: A handsome and strikingly classic interior
- Low point: Food choices are expensive and a little dated
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- Provides: Live music
- Music on stereo: Quiet tunes
- Capacity: 56 (199 standing)
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 1896
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Caledonian Folk and Blues at The Guildford
Festival's best free pub music event, 19th year hosted by Scotland's favourite folk'n'fun band Yard Of Ale and guests - Sandy Tweedale, Bedford Falls, FC Ukulele, Eddie Walker, The Whole Shebang. Sponsor Caledonian Brewery.
Thu 15 Aug
Fri 16 Aug
Sat 17 Aug
Orkney Jazz at the Guildford
New Orleans to Dixie to swing and more. Ken Ramage Trio and Dixie 6 - Diplomats Of Jazz. Special guest stars include Roy Williams, Europe’s top jazz trombonist and Jim Galloway, Toronto, top international reeds man.
Fri 2 Aug
Sat 3 Aug
Sun 4 Aug
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Guildford Arms./5 from RSS feed of these comments