The City Café
- Box office 0131 220 0125
- General enquiries 0131 220 0125
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11am–1am
- Seasonal times Festival Mon–Sun 9am–3am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–1am. Extended in Festival. Alcohol served from 11am
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm
- Average price £6.50 (set lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.thecitycafe.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Having adopted the theme of a classic American diner, the City Cafe, with its chequered floor, cosy booths and old-fashioned jukebox, makes a definite nod to 1950s USA. With a menu packed with burgers and fries, pancakes and milkshakes, the City Cafe’s American influence is further cemented by it being home to a ‘Man vs Food’ contest, the Ultimate Burger Challenge, in which diners attempt to munch their way through a bun stuffed with seven separate burgers complete with toppings. Under the close scrutiny of the bar staff, if the plate is cleared in under 45 minutes, the £30 price tag is waived. It’s not all about the food, however, and the American theme is kept running through the booze side of things, with a Stateside Cocktail Menu. And if a Dry Cherry Manhattan or Margarita Slush isn’t your thing, there are plenty of standard pints and affordable wines on offer too.
- High point: All-day breakfasts served until10pm
- Low point: Booths are slightly cramped
From February 2013. We’ve all heard of the Man V Food phenomenon; a programme so full of food that it makes you at once nauseated and extremely hungry … well this year a popular stateside-themed spot in Edinburgh has decided to jump on the craze and challenge Edinburgh to its first year-long Ultimate Burger Challenge.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 150 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Upbeat and funky tunes
- Live entertainment: Upstairs: Fri/Sat night DJs; downstairs (City2) is bookable and has regular classes such as the life drawing 'All the Young Nudes'
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 150 at City Café 2 downstairs
- Open since: 1985
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £16 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Auld Reekie Readers
A new reading group for literary nuts and budding authors.
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's City Cafe introduces 7lb burger challenge1 Feb 2013
The mega-sandwich will cost you £30, unless you can finish it in 45 minutes
The City Café has delved deeper into its 1950s Americana and come up with a food challenge that would floor most, but undoubtedly not all, of our supersized cousins across the pond. Their Ultimate Burger Challenge offers up Edinburgh's biggest burger…
Bar crawls: Edinburgh - The Prudent Student18 Nov 2011
A cheap and cheerful crawl from Marchmont to Grassmarket
I have a confession to make. I’ve never really been much of a bar crawl sort of gal. The idea of systematic drinking (vb. to lash, I suppose) with a bunch of overgrown rugby boys, with their girlfriend’s underwear on as outer wear, has never really…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of The City Café./5 from RSS feed of these comments