Krua Khun Mae
- Telephone 0131 225 7007
- Seasonal times Open noon – 10.30pm during festival
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–3pm, 5–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.30pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £19.95/£21.95/£24.95 (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.changthai-restaurant.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Krua Khun Mae translates as 'mother’s kitchen', a name chosen by new owner Anan to reflect the homely nature of the menu and ambience. Originally called Chang Thai, this cosy subterranean restaurant is tucked into a tiny alley which runs down from Cockburn Street to Waverley station. While the décor (wood-panelled beach shack) has changed very little from the previous tenants, the menu has been given a welcome revamp. In addition to well-cooked Thai favourites, such as green curry and various stir fries, there are a selection of dishes straight from the family dinner table and even a couple of fusion dishes thrown in for good measure. Jungle curry is indeed a wild concoction, with lemongrass, chilli and grachai root packing a powerful flavour punch, though the sauce is a bit watery. Haggis kai jeow illustrates an interesting twist on a traditional Thai dish, with peppery haggis joining spring onions and herbs in a huge puffy omelette. From the dessert choices, the small mountain of banana fritters is delicious, smothered in toffee sauce and scattered with roasted cashews.
- High point: Handsome portions
- Low point: Tired décor
- Notable dish: Banana fritters
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Thai country music
- Capacity: 52
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 8 reviews of Krua Khun Mae./5 from RSS feed of these comments