Krua Khun Mae
- Telephone 0131 225 7007
- Seasonal times Open noon – 10.30pm during festival
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–3pm, 5–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.30pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £19.95/£21.95/£24.95 (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.changthai-restaurant.co.uk
Jump to or comments (13)
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Just down a narrow close off Cockburn Street, Chang Thai is a hidden city centre gem. Providing a splash of sun in a subterranean space, the decor has a definite beachfront feel, complete with tiki-style bar and shell decorated tabletops. The menu isn't quite as exotic, favouring a home-cooked style of Thai. Holy basil provides a lovely bitter note in the stir fry and the delightfully fluffy deep fried bean curd is paired perfectly with a sweet chilli peanut sauce. The pad thai is a reminder of how good this classic noodle dish can be, packed with nutty, tamarind flavour and served with the little dishes of garnish letting you spice it up to your heart's content. The desserts are limited in number, but impressively executed, banana fritters drizzled in a caramel sauce being the intensely sweet stand out. With some cracking value lunch and early evening set menus available, this is well worth seeking out no matter the occasion.
- High point: Top notch pad thai
- Low point: Very easy to miss entrance
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Thai country music
- Capacity: 52
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 8 reviews of Krua Khun Mae./5 from RSS feed of these comments