The Radical Road
- Telephone 0131 661 1116
- Bar open Mon–Thu 4–11pm; Fri 4pm–1am; Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–11pm
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm, 5–9pm; Sun 12.30–9pm. [Snacks: 3–5pm].
- Average price £9.50 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.radicalroadpub.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
Perched on a main road heading out of town towards Duddingston, Radical Road is a bit off the beaten track. This mock Tudor property has gone through a number of reincarnations, and is now billed as a traditional Scottish pub with a separate contemporary dining room. The bar has a rustic feel with a scattering of mismatched furniture, shelves of old toys, alcohol related paraphernalia and a variety of board games for their clientele of locals and tourists staying nearby. There is a limited menu of bar snacks on offer to accompany local ales, such as impressive garlic bread and Rob Roy’s Platter – succulent haggis, potato wedges and Drambuie dip. For something more substantial, head to the restaurant area for fish and chips, steak pie, burgers, Sunday roast and a small selection of more refined dishes based on seasonal ingredients. There's live music in the bar every Friday and Saturday night.
- High point: Good intentions of owners and staff
- Low point: Choice of dishes can be very limited as popular options run out
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eagles/ Lily Allen
- Live entertainment: Live bands every Fri/ Sat 9pm–midnight
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: April 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of The Radical Road./5 from RSS feed of these comments