Loopy Lorna's Tea House @ Church Hill Theatre
- Telephone 0131 447 3042
- Opening times Sun–Thu 10am–6pm; Fri/Sat 9am–6pm
- Bar open For shows only: before performance, during interval and occasionally afterwards.
- Food served Sun–Thu 9am–4.30pm; Fri/Sat 9am–4.30pm.
- Average price £8.50 (set lunch)
- Website www.loopylornas.com
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Hot pinks and dazzling purples dominate both the decor and the cake toppings at this child-friendly café. Named after the founder’s beloved mum, the cheerful establishment offers daytime favourites such as soups, sandwiches and quiches but with an emphasis on dainty cakes and speciality teas. A popular option is the decadent afternoon tea, where a triple-tier cake stand comes laden with smoked salmon, ham and egg sandwiches, as well as mini scones, cream-topped tarts and truffles. There is also a two-course lunch option if afternoon tea is not your bag. A buttery onion tart flavoured with rosemary and thyme comes with hash browns, potato rösti and a green salad tossed with a mustard dressing. The cakes are cut in generous portions, an example being an orange sponge with a moist texture and delightfully sharp citrus icing. A member of the Tea Guild, the café's devotion to tea is displayed in its speciality tea menu, with choices like the Oh My Masala Chai, a fragrant blend of Asian black teas. And the cute knitted tea cosies are the icing on the cake.
- High point: Ideal for mums and tea enthusiasts
- Low point: Gluey potato rösti
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: nothing
- Capacity: 105
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2010
- House wine: £15 per bottle