- Telephone 0131 229 1222
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2pm, 6.30–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price £26.50 (set lunch); £44 (evening meal)
- Website www.castleterracerestaurant.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
When you emerge as the offshoot of a fairly flawless Michelin-starred restaurant there is only one way to avoid playing second fiddle. And that is, of course, to win your own star, which is exactly what Castle Terrace did in 2011, less than a year after opening. Chef-patron Dominic Jack may buy into partner-chef Tom Kitchin’s ‘Nature to Plate’ emphasis on local ingredients and unstinting seasonality, but imitate he does not. If anything the dining space is more refined, a sort of slick boutique hotel crossed with serene health spa, all hardwoods and piped mood music. Edinburgh Castle tries to distract outside, but it can’t. Not with cooking this stellar. Even the lunch set menu is a culinary extravaganza of canapés, amuse bouche, three courses and petit fours, all immaculately, but not overly fussily presented. Fillet of North Sea cod comes translucent against a bold, binary colour squid cannelloni, laced together by a glaze of garlic and parsley. It’s almost too pretty to eat. This bold, creative and assured restaurant is certainly no pale Kitchin imitation.
- High point: Serious destination dining nudging two-star territory
- Low point: Some daring wine pairings on the set menus don't always hit the mark
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 19
- Private dining: Up to 16 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Chilled lounge
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2010
- House wine: £20 per bottle
Reviews & features
Michelin-starred chef Tom Kitchin on Scotland's best berries17 Sep 2010
The Larder: Chef's Choice
The Scottish idiosyncratic climate is good for something – it provides ideal growing conditions for our produce. Michelin-starred chef Tom Kitchin explains why he uses only Scotland’s best berries in his restaurants.
Comments & ratings
Average rating 4 reviews of Castle Terrace./5 from RSS feed of these comments