Angels With Bagpipes
- Telephone 0131 220 1111
- Opening times Daily noon–10pm
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Noon–6pm (5.45pm last orders)
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.angelswithbagpipes.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
With a name like Angels with Bagpipes and a location opposite St Giles Cathedral on the Royal Mile, this restaurant is a tourist magnet. The upstairs area is compact with a pretty Edinburgh street view – but fear not, there is extra room on the lower floor to accommodate larger groups, passing tourists and some local diners. Dishes are generally well executed but some lack the wow factor: this is a menu of highs and lows. Beef tartare is a highlight, as is the perfectly cooked highland lamb, served with pearl barley, carrots, sweetbread and kale. Haggis is beautifully wrapped in bacon and served with the expected neeps and tatties, but sadly the whisky sauce doesn’t pack much of a punch. Chocolate ganache with marzipan ice-cream, popcorn and candied nuts is an explosion of rich textures and sweetness; however the deconstructed cranachan – Glenmorangie parfait, raspberry crumble, oatmeal marshmallow and raspberry jelly – falls short of the traditional recipe. There is certainly some promise here, but there is also room for improvement.
- High point: Some impressive dishes
- Low point: Limited choice for vegetarians
Having opened on the Royal Mile in 2010, Angels with Bagpipes has quickly established itself as one of the best Scottish restaurants in Edinburgh.
Mixing an atmospheric Old Town setting with chic, contemporary looks, Angels with Bagpipes was designed to be the sort of romantic Edinburgh restaurant where Rabbie Burns might take Sofia Loren for a sophisticated date.
Text supplied by third party.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- Private dining: Up to 24 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Contemporary and jazz (Open Ear, a Glasgow psychologist and DJ designed the playlist)
- Capacity: 115 (76 indoor / 35 outdoor)
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2010
- House wine: £19 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Angels With Bagpipes./5 from RSS feed of these comments