- Telephone 0131 228 8022
- Food served Mon–Sat 5–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Daily 5–7.30pm
- Average price £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.50
- Website www.absolutethai.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Absolute Thai is an unassuming treasure. On stepping through the curtained doorway, diners feel sequestered from the outside world. The restaurant may be small, but the limited space makes for a feeling of cosy intimacy with small touches of kitsch: sequinned peacocks, fresh roses on tables and a row of tiny elephants bearing miniature potted flowers add to the living-room ambience. The menu sets out its stall with a starter platter for two or more of Thai fishcakes, chicken satay, spring rolls, prawn tempura and fresh dim sum in a sharp, vinegary sauce. Main course portions are big enough to share and feature a tender sea bass strewn with shavings of fresh ginger and earthy panang curry with an unusual smoky edge. If possible, leave room for the superlative ice-cream, a celestial concoction of shaved coconut, roasted cashews and honey. The young staff are laidback and refreshingly straightforward, and with a pre-theatre deal to tempt patrons of the King’s next door, this is a grand spot for fresh food, chunky flavours and some low-lit smooching.
- High point: Fresh produce and wonderful sea bass
- Low point: Sweet potato fritters are rather bland
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Traditional Thai
- Capacity: 22
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2009
- BYOB: £2.50 corkage
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Absolute Thai./5 from RSS feed of these comments