- Telephone 0131 662 8741
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am. [Extended in Festival]
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–midnight. [Extended in Festival]
- Pre-theatre times Beer and Burger for £10 Mon – Fri 12pm – 5pm
- Average price £11 (lunch); £11 (evening meal)
- Website www.greenmantlepub.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Ideally positioned for much of Edinburgh’s student population, the Greenmantle is a busy Southside local. Offering a meeting place for university societies, as well as hosting their own quiz nights, live music, poker and Spanish nights, this bar always has something going on. Priding themselves on their selection of single malts, the full range of whiskies is always changing, as are the four guest ales, which customers are welcome to taste before making up their minds. The food on offer is uncomplicated, traditional pub fare, the slight twist being that the burgers are made from buffalo meat, from Puddledub in Fife. With a multitude of toppings available, customers can create their ideal buffalo, chicken or falafel burger. If burgers don’t tickle your fancy, there are other options along the lines of Arbroath smokie fish-cakes or haggis, neeps and tatties.
- High point: Un-fussy pub food done well, with quality ingredients
- Low point: Decor is a bit on the shabby side of 'shabby-chic'
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- Provides: Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: a mix of indie and folk
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2009
- House wine: £12.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar crawls: Edinburgh - The Prudent Student18 Nov 2011
A cheap and cheerful crawl from Marchmont to Grassmarket
I have a confession to make. I’ve never really been much of a bar crawl sort of gal. The idea of systematic drinking (vb. to lash, I suppose) with a bunch of overgrown rugby boys, with their girlfriend’s underwear on as outer wear, has never really…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Greenmantle./5 from RSS feed of these comments