- Telephone 0141 331 1980
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 5–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight; Sun 2–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5pm–6.30pm; Fri/Sat 3pm–6.30pm
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.50
- Website www.assams.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
There’s a strong pedigree of curry capital here. Assam himself is a former Mother India manager who decided to establish his own place in 2009. He also poached his wee brother when he left the West End for the city centre. Intriguingly the menu states: 'Let us change your perception of Indian dining'. Some of the menu descriptions of the dishes might look familiar to former Mother India regulars. The signs are all good – contemporary décor, modern Indian hits to listen to and attentive staff. The first things out the kitchen – poppadums and homemade mango pickle – are great. But thereafter the food doesn't quite the heights of currydom you would expect given the restaurant’s stated aims and the experience and talent of the staff. It does, however, offer great value: a two-course pre-theatre menu is £10.50, and there’s nothing overly pricey on the menu. Also on the plus side there’s Cobra on tap – so it’s ideal if you are in town and fancy a curry and beer, without digging too far into the pocket.
- High point: Mango pickle
- Low point: Not fulfilling the promise of its pedigree
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 1
- Delivery: £2+
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Modern western pop/Bollywood
- Capacity: 92
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2009
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £2.50, £3.50 fizz corkage
Reviews & features
Area guide to the Glasgow Film Festival17 Feb 2011
Kirstin Innes helps you bring the movies to life with our GFF-themed area guide
If you're interested in the Beyond Bollywood, Superheroes in Glasgow, Ceol's Craic or Fashion in Film strands, this is the Glasgow guide for you.