- Telephone 0131 229 1537
- Bar open Mon 5–10.30pm; Tue–Sat noon–3pm, 5–10.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon 5–11pm; Tue–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–11pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.passornthai.com
Jump to comments (6)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Small and staunchly independent, Tollcross gem Passorn is now approaching its fourth birthday. Owner Cindy Sritsotorn has carved out a niche among larger and longer-established haunts by holding true to her passion for good cooking and uncompromising commitment to quality ingredients. Welcoming staff, a pared-down neat aesthetic and a loyal clientele combine to foster a convivial atmosphere, with an ethos of attention to detail evident in everything from the hand-carved carrot roses that adorn each dish to the house selection of a tangy sauvignon blanc. The mains selection includes an appropriately celestial angel curry and fresh-spiced choo chee sea bass in a fragrant coconut and lemongrass sauce good enough to cause a socially inappropriate episode of plate-licking. The food is done simply, but very well, and the exceptional quality of the meat and fish produce – delivered daily by local suppliers – speaks volumes about the attentive and precise approach that forms the heart of the venture. Passorn is a place to be drawn to time and again for excellent food cooked with love.
- High point: Consistently fabulous produce and full-flavoured sauces
- Low point: Pricey rice
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: gentle swing music, jazz
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 46
- Open since: 2009
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 6 reviews of Passorn./5 from RSS feed of these comments