- Telephone 0131 240 1666
- Bar open Sun–Wed 10am–midnight; Thu–Sat 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu 6.30–10am, 12.30–3pm, 6–10.30pm; Fri 6.30–10am, 12.30–3pm, 6–11pm; Sat 7–11am, 12.30–3pm, 6–11pm; Sun 7–11am, 12.30–3pm, 6–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times 6–7pm
- Average price £14.95 (set lunch); £28 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16
- Website www.hotelmissoni.com
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
From the moment you pass through the chic bar en route to the restaurant upstairs, your senses will be assailed by a riot of colour, rich flavours and music shared with the rest of the building. Seats covered in fabrics from the Missoni fashion house, tableaux depicting its patterns, and even the frames of the bathroom mirrors shout out Italian style. Trendily clad waiters buzz around, theatrically explaining the provenance of the olive oil, topping up wine glasses with a flourish, and delivering imaginative dishes. Cucina’s take on an Italian staple has mozzarella paired with warm tomato jam and crispy basil leaves, while alternative starters include a harmonious match of scallops with cauliflower purée and caper sauce. Pasta and risotto dishes join mains including tender duck breast with pearl barley and a rich jus, or monkfish with a hint of mustard in the accompanying sauce. A tempting dessert selection includes poached pear with honey ice-cream and Amaretto jelly, and a ‘chocolate tasting’ which offers multiple styles and textures – just like Cucina itself.
- High point: Fantastic food in stylish surroundings
- Low point: Unusual music selection
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- Private dining: 40-45 (also for groups of 14 and 16)
- No. overnight rooms: 136
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Modern/trendy music
- Capacity: 105
- Largest group: 105
- Open since: 2009
- House wine: £19.50 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Cucina./5 from RSS feed of these comments