This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 220 5155
- Bar open Mon–Thu 4.30pm–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 1pm–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun 5–10pm
- Website www.amoredogs.co.uk/underdogs.html
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
This latest addition to the capital’s canine cohorts might have the slight air of an old folks’ home but, if you intend to see out your days on a battered sofa surrounded by animals, this would be the place to do so in style – with a head full of cocktails, a belly full of bar snacks and nary a Nurse Ratchet in sight. Previously used as a storage space for its sister venues, it is now one of the most welcoming bars in this part of town, with a mean line in cocktails, a fridge filled with unusual bottled beers and some exceptional snacks, such as the miniature burgers – known as sliders – which are cooked in the kitchen of Amore Dogs. Its muted décor, mellow sounds and shabby-chic are also a pleasant escape from the raucous tones and lurid hews of so many of the joints in the George Street area. If only retirement proved to be so much fun.
- High point: Unique and unpretentious
- Low point: No draught beer
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Manager's i-pod on shuffle
- Capacity: 55
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2010
- House wine: £14.75 per bottle