- Telephone 0141 258 2326
- Opening times Tue–Sun 5–9.30pm.
- Food served Tue–Sun 5–10.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5pm–7pm, Fri/Sat 5pm–6.30pm
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.nur-restaurant.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Chef Ali Hammudah may be the only Egyptian restaurant owner to lose his kitchen to a Scottish hurricane (Bawbag) but the reopened Nur is well worth the weathering of a storm. You can taste the passion for food when tucking into fava beans in garlic and generous portions packed with complex flavours. Nutty tahina dip, a welcome hummus alternative, makes a light start and meat from the grill yields to the first bite, with a lovely smoky aftertaste. The simple tagine with tender lamb arrives in rich tomato sauce and after all that, dessert may seem like a stretch. Traditional hibiscus tea though, is a refreshing palate cleanser and delicate, soft baklava deftly combines nuts and fragrant scents. BYOB with modest corkage allows washing this down with a drink but staff recommend Shani, a curiously tasty Egyptian soft drink. The understated but authentic atmosphere is subtly created by soft cushions and muted deep brown earth tones, a relaxed but stylish setting for an evening meal. The attention to detail throughout results in a memorable experience – Glasgow’s diners should be delighted Ali’s pride and joy survived.
- High point: Unusual, high-quality dishes delivered with care
- Low point: Don’t let the location put you off
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Live music
- Music on stereo: Egyptian traditional music
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2009
- BYOB: £3.95, 75p beer corkage
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Belly Dance Classes
Weekly Egyptian-style belly dance classes covering technique, combinations and choreography.
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Nur./5 from RSS feed of these comments