Athena Greek Taverna
- Telephone 0141 339 3895
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 5–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–6.30pm
- Average price £4.95 (set lunch); £15.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £8.95
- Website www.athenataverna.co.uk
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
As a result of ongoing building work, Athena has temporarily moved from its West End home to the City Centre, which has led to an increased popularity at lunchtime, such is the abundance of offices in their new environ, and the £5 express lunch deal is remarkably good value. A minor criticism would be that it does feel slightly restrained and corporate now – the predominantly white décor, the speed at which courses arrive. But it’s a transitional year for the restaurant and this is easily overlooked. The big, recognisable traits of traditional Greek cooking are definitely there: lamb in the kleftico that falls off the bone in long, juicy shreds; the aromatic stifado where each mouthful ends with the lingering richness of beef and red wine; glossy-crunchy-sugary-nutty baklava to finish things off. Mains come with both rice and potato, and are generous too. Throw in the sharing platter, where one can try perfectly agreeable dolmades (stuffed vine leaves), keftedes (meatballs) and a selection of dips, and you have a place where Greek cooking is very accessible.
- High point: Massive portions
- Low point: Wee bit tame
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Greek folk music
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2009 (2012 this site)
- House wine: £14 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Athena Greek Taverna./5 from RSS feed of these comments