- Telephone 01241 830364
- Opening times Tue 7–9pm; Wed–Fri noon–1.45pm, 7–9pm; Sat 7–9pm; Sun noon–1.45pm, 7–9pm
- Seasonal times Oct–May: closed for dinner Sun evenings. Closed in Jan.
- Food served Wed–Fri 12.30–1.30pm, 7–8.30pm; Tue & Sat 7–8.30pm; Sun 12.30–1.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £28 (set lunch); £48 (set evening meal)
- Website www.gordonsrestaurant.co.uk
Over 25 years the family team of Gordon Watson, wife Maria and son Garry have built a reputation for good food. In spite of the unprepossessing exterior, inside is reminiscent of a Provençal restaurant with dragged ochre walls and dark beams. The scene is set with a wood-burning stove, and spacious tables with proper white tablecloths. Separate set menus cover both lunch and dinner, giving a small choice of dishes with inventive combinations. Seafood, beef, lamb and game are centre stage with the menu changing often, featuring the likes of boneless quail stuffed with Stornoway black pudding and puy lentils, or a double-baked soufflé of Tobermory cheese for starters. Mains again play with different flavours, such as pan-fried hake fillet with a subtly spiced couscous, crispy pak choi and spring onion tempura with a coriander and curry dressing, while roast duck comes with rich cabbage cider fondant and a peppered honey jus. The cheeseboard reflects the strength of Scottish artisan cheese, and desserts are light and intense. The wine list includes many from the New World. This is a place for serious food appreciation with everything cooked, presented and served with care.
- Private dining: Up to 8 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 5
- Provides: Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 1986
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
Reviews & features
Chef Garry Watson on wild garlic11 Jul 2012
The Angus Larder - Chef's Choice
Garry Watson is spoilt for wild garlic around Gordon's Restaurant, where he works as head chef. He tells us about about his favourite ways to use it.