The Auld Hoose
- Telephone 0131 668 2934
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–12.45am; Sun 12.30pm–12.45am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9.30pm; Sun 12.30–8pm.
- Average price £11.50 (lunch); £11.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.theauldhoose.co.uk
Jump to comments (4)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
With its classic interiors and traditional pub front, one could be forgiven for mistaking the Auld Hoose as a run-of-the-mill, slightly antiquated boozer. But with a jukebox featuring the best of goth, punk and metal music, and being a meeting place for some of Edinburgh’s more off-the-wall groups and societies, the Auld Hoose pulls in a more alternative crowd. When it comes to food, portion size is definitely a priority here: the menu describes the nachos as ‘probably the biggest in Edinburgh’. Sure enough, a gravity-defying plateful arrives piled high with chilli, cheese and salsa, alongside a colossal chicken burrito. The uncomplicated, unfussy menu offers good-value pub fare, guaranteed to satisfy even the most voracious of appetites, and all can be washed down with one of the extensive selection of guest real ales and craft beers.
- High point: Incredibly helpful and friendly bar staff
- Low point: Can be tricky to find a seat
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- Provides: Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Goth, metal and punk
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 15
- Open since: 1865
- House wine: £13 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of The Auld Hoose./5 from RSS feed of these comments