- Telephone 0131 447 1012
- Food served Mon–Fri 8.30am–5pm; Sat 9am–5pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £8.50 (lunch)
- Website www.cafeblush.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
Morningside Road is not short of cappuccino options, but this dusky-pink painted café stands out, not just because of its adventurous coloured exterior but also its warm, friendly table service, easy-to-read simple menu and neighbourhood feel with local art on the walls. The all-day breakfast, from traditional free-range eggs and bacon to waffles with maple syrup, attracts more than just locals and there is an interesting range of panini, with chorizo, sundried tomato pesto and mozzarella ringing the changes. Sizzling salad is a novel and fun way to eat rocket: peppery leaves are complemented by crispy bacon, spicy chorizo, sunblush tomatoes and chickpeas. There is a kids’ menu aimed specifically at under-fives with half portion soups and crustless sandwiches. One of the owners is coeliac so all panini, sandwiches, soups and cakes have gluten-free options. The small counter by the cash register is back-to-back cake, some of which are baked on the premises, so be sure to leave room for a fudgy wheat-free brownie or a slice of coffee and walnut.
- High point: Lovely neighbourhood friendly atmosphere
- Low point: Trying to get a seat when it's too busy
- Delivery: ask for details
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 80s & 90s pop
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: Dec 2008