- Telephone 0141 552 8332
- Food served Tue–Thu & Sun 4–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–12.30am. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun 4––6pm
- Average price £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.thaliglasgow.com
Jump to comments (12)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Thali offers something different from the multitude of Indian restaurants nestled around Merchant City. The decor may look already slightly dated with its Artex walls and faded red carpet—but the food certainly is not. Referring to a charmingly diagrammed placemat, waiters enthusiastically explain the unusual concept of the thali: a base platter of fluffy rice; salad and pickles; daal or raita; and a generous portion of naan. Diners then choose a minimum of two katoris, or mains, from the extensive menu, but are encouraged to try at least three or four—enough, surely, to sate an elephant’s hunger. The stand out dishes are definitely the vegetarian options. The traditional Hyderabadi dish baingan— Sautéed aubergines in a tangy tamarind sauce—should not be missed; nor the aromatic okra with chilli and mango powder. Meat dishes are not to be scoffed at either, with a vast array of grilled kebabs and patties—not a vindaloo in sight. A two course pre-theatre menu is available Tuesday to Sunday, with a starter, base thali with two katrois plus a glass of house wine.
- High point: Extensive vegetarian options
- Low point: Quite dark and overly intimate
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Asian pop
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2009
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 8 reviews of Thali./5 from RSS feed of these comments