- Telephone 0131 226 2862
- Food served Mon–Thu 2.30–11.45pm; Fri/Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–11.45pm; Sun 3–11.45pm.
- Average price £17 (lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.indianloungeedinburgh.co.uk
Jump to comments (7)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Variously known as The Indian Lounge, Tipu's Indian Lounge, or Tippoo Sahib (its previous moniker that lingers on menus and framed certificates on the walls), this stalwart of Rose Street has been serving up traditional curries and Punjabi specialities for three decades. A plasma screen in the entrance offers images of the carpeted dining area one level down from the street; it's hard to describe the eating spaces as elaborate, with just a few pictures and ornaments, but the dark wood tables and contemporary chairs are smart and the welcome easy and chatty. Starters include pakora, puri and chutt patt – tandoori barbecued chicken wings – while mains offer a run-through of traditional bhunas, dhansaks and vindaloos along with specials where cream, coconut and milder spicing are employed in dishes such as chicken pasanda or kurum ghutala, a dish with its origins in the Moghul empire.
- High point: Handily placed city-centre curry spot
- Low point: Windowless dining room
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- Private dining: Up to 24 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses)
- Music on stereo: Traditional Indian music
- Capacity: 85
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1983
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 6 reviews of Indian Lounge./5 from RSS feed of these comments