- Telephone 0131 667 4654
- Opening times Mon–Wed 9am–8pm; Thu 9am–9pm; Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 10am–8pm.
- Seasonal times Mon–Thu 9am–8pm; Fri–Sat 9am–9pm; Sun 10am–4pm. (Winter hours)
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 10am–8pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.45pm
- Average price £16 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10
- Website www.hellerskitchen.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Hellers Kitchen is a heavenly all-rounder. Feeding Southside locals morning to night, it transitions smoothly from full breakfasts and American-style pancakes as the sun rises, to stone-baked pizzas and sandwiches on home-made sourdough at lunch and finally to grown-up bistro as night falls. By day, the narrow split-level room is flooded with light. Vintage continental café posters line one side of the neutral-toned space, rotating exhibitions of local photographers along the other, with a rich burgundy feature wall bringing a flash of warmth. The food is just as appealing. Plump fillets of grilled mackerel, skin beautifully crisped, are raised to higher ground by pairing with delicate pieces of roasted rhubarb and a lively blood orange salad. Braised shin of beef in a luxuriant pool of red-wine jus is devilishly tender, dished up with market-fresh carrots and kale, and a circle of bubble and squeak. Topping things off, blood orange panacotta is a wobbly citrus-infused cracker. This is the kind of neighbourhood bistro that most suburbs would love to call their own.
- High point: Excellent seasonally changing specials
- Low point: A tad too bright at night – dimmer please
- Notable dish: Braised shin of beef, bubble and squeak cake, glazed carrots, buttered kale with red wine jus
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Unobtrusive background pop
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 44
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of Hellers Kitchen./5 from RSS feed of these comments