- Telephone 0131 229 8988
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–10.45pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.45pm; Sun 1–10.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5–7pm daily
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
Jump to comments (11)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
A marriage of Scottish and Thai cuisine might seem a doomed alliance, and some of the menu options sound more like a drunken scramble around the kitchen than haute cuisine (lasagne chicken curry, anybody?), but don’t be fooled – this contemporary outfit is one of the most interesting restaurants on the Edinburgh dining scene. Fresh orchids sit in mirrored cubes full of water beneath coloured fibre optics and Crystal Maze flashback-inducing chandeliers. The emphasis on sharp presentation extends across the board, with a deconstructed sirloin panang curry set out in its component parts and the courteous, highly professional staff resplendent in sharp black suits. Vegetables are a standout of each dish – full of fresh, bright flavours and expertly cooked. A velvety chicken satay starter is followed by a small but intelligently put together range of mains, including sea bass with rather too much cold lettuce, tasty soy-infused chicken teriyaki and a smooth gaeng mussaman. Spice levels can be adapted to suit customer taste, but be warned – they don’t mess around and will take you at your word.
- High point: Impeccable service and delicious sauces
- Low point: Battery-powered candles
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Ballads and love songs
- Capacity: 49
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2008
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £6 corkage
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 9 reviews of Leven's./5 from RSS feed of these comments