This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 467 5441/ 07850 340 905
- Food served Sun–Thu 5.30–10.30pm; Fri/Sat 5–11.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £14.50 (evening meal)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
If your experience of Szechuan food is limited to the solitary ‘Szechuan chicken/ beef/ pork’ off the typical Chinese menu, then think about visiting the Golden Bridge next time you’re in Leith. This unpretentious, welcoming little restaurant specialises in the spicy, aromatic cuisine of China’s Sichuan and Guizhou provinces. Chilli, peanuts, garlic and ginger impart bold flavours to the dishes on offer here, which have a home-cooked feel to them. And it’s great to see authentic ingredients like black fungus and bamboo making an appearance. Try at least one dish with their pickled chilli, made on the premises, which gives a wonderful sour sharpness to stir-fried meat or fish. The place has a quirky charm: a wooden trellis seems an odd choice to cover the once-handsome ceiling cornice, the toilet door is screened off by what looks suspiciously like a shower curtain, and the Chinese tea comes in the floweriest of Victoriana teapots. But, like the food and the warm welcome from manager Sue Ma, somehow it just makes you feel right at home.
- High point: Eye-opening Szechuan tastes
- Low point: So small it's like being in someone’s front room at times
- Delivery: £1.50 (local delivery only)
- Provides: Children's portions, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Traditional Chinese music
- Capacity: 32
- Largest group: 32
- Open since: 2008
- BYOB: £1.50 corkage
Comments & ratings
Average rating 4 reviews of Golden Bridge./5 from RSS feed of these comments