The Tailend Restaurant and Fish Bar
- Telephone 0131 555 3577
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.tailendrestaurant.com
Jump to comments (9)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
The original Edinburgh posh chippie, opened by a partner in the famed Anstruther Fish Bar, the Tailend coined a format that is gathering pace across the country. Don’t expect silver cutlery and napkin-flicking – the takeaway box of haddock, chips and mushy peas remains but there’s also a tabled seating area and much more than the usual deep-fried pizza on the menu. Sustainable sourcing has led to a wider than usual seafood range, including a specials board advertising the likes of sole, sea bass and rock turbot. The regular menu similarly takes the strain off cod and haddock with calamari, hake and monkfish available cooked to order in a light, crisp batter, breaded, or simply grilled. The all important chips are a matter of pride, fried only in unadulterated beef dripping to crunchy, fluffy perfection. With their sister operation in St Andrews proving equally popular, it’s to be hoped that this kind of fish supper will soon be the expected standard, rather than the stand-out option – and at £4.80 for a single fish supper, we can all vote with our feet.
- High point: Here’s hoping more chippies will follow their lead on better sourcing
- Low point: The sit-in area is functional rather than stylish
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Unobtrusive jazz
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 44
- Open since: 2008
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 8 reviews of The Tailend Restaurant and Fish Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments