- Telephone 0131 225 1233
- Opening times Will open bar at different times for groups or wine tastings by prior request
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sun 12.30–2.30pm, 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.30pm (finish by 7.30pm)
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price Half price mains. Starters and desserts: £4
- Website www.calistoga.co.uk
Jump to comments (6)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Calistoga could be Edinburgh’s best restaurant for wine lovers. With one of the biggest selections of Californian wines in Europe and a mark-up policy that makes them affordable, it is not to be missed by oenophiles. The Congressional Wine Tasting dinner offers excellent value for a special experience, including a fun 40-minute pre-dinner wine tasting. The food won’t disappoint either, fusing Californian dishes with Scottish ingredients to create a strong, modern menu. The grill offers a range of locally sourced steak to appease those who assume North American means beef. However, the concise à la carte offering, which changes every three weeks, is more adventurous and may include a rich tomato-based red mullet and mussel broth or variously cooked oysters to start. A bean cassoulet is a good main for vegetarians and meat eaters will enjoy a delicious braised lamb that softly crumbles into a bed of root vegetable puree and redcurrant jus. A smooth cherry panna cotta or fluffy vanilla cheesecake with soft rhubarb compote nicely round off the meal. All this accompanied by a Napa Valley pinot noir is hard to beat.
- High point: An education in the best of Californian wines
- Low point: The simple, modern interior is beginning to look a bit tired
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- Private dining: 12/26
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Californian radio streamed over web very quietly
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 52
- Open since: 2008 (from 2004 in original location)
- House wine: £13 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of Calistoga./5 from RSS feed of these comments