This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 662 4493
- Food served Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat noon–3pm, 5.30–10.30pm. Closed Sun/Mon. [Extended in Festival]
- Pre-theatre times Tues–Sat 5.30–6.30pm
- Average price £9.50 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.ilovepinkolive.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Hostess Kay McBride and chef Stephen Todd have created a bistro in the best tradition of the word, serving hearty, rewarding platefuls that don’t scrimp on flavour or portion size. Inside, a muted sage green and dusty cornflower colour scheme works well by day or night, although the banquettes, flushed with fuchsia stripes, appear an incongruous leftover from a previous image change. The menu is an international expedition, but without the guilt of food miles, thanks to a creditable effort to source responsibly. Crispy pig cheeks with pickled cucumber and Gressingham duck leg with ginger, orange and star anise indicate a talent for south-east Asian flavours. Elsewhere, Creole king prawn stew is a satisfyingly smoky taste of the Deep South. Many elements, from the black pudding to the heavenly shortbread, are made from scratch, and impish desserts, like black beer brownie and peanut butter pastries, generally come partnered with homemade ice-creams. And despite the comforting nature of the food, it tends to teeter on the fresh side of soulful, ensuring there’s no need to loosen your belt (or purse strings) too much.
- High point: Pre-theatre and set-menu options offer particularly good value
- Low point: Space is at a premium, meaning tables by the door are a little cramped
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Broad mix - modern to classics
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2008
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Pink Olive18 Sep 2008
The restaurant world consumes an awful lot of dreams. Everyone who has ever eaten out has discussed how they would do things better, and anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant has nurtured a blueprint for world, or at least neighbourhood…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 7 reviews of Pink Olive./5 from RSS feed of these comments