- Telephone 0141 334 6265
- Food served Tue–Thu noon–2.15pm, 5.30–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–2.15pm, 5.30–9.30pm, Sun 12.30–3pm, 5.30–8pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 5.30–9pm; Fri–Sat 5.30pm–6.30pm, Sun 5.30–7.45pm
- Average price £14.95 (set lunch); £31 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.cailbruich.co.uk
Jump to comments (5)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Cail Bruich’s menu so eschews the fashion for flowery descriptions it could have been written by the Plain English Society. The polite list of ingredients doesn’t even hint at the theatre and dazzling artiness of delivered dishes. Chef Chris Charalambus has always been inventive but now he’s finessing the techniques, upping the creativity and piling on the drama. A starter named ‘squash’ is in reality a piquant medley of wild herbs, nutty browned butter and blue cheese royale (a kind of savoury custard) doused with a hearty jug of silky, roasted squash velouté at the table. Flavour explodes in every mouthful. Likewise, perfectly cooked turbot on salt-baked celeriac with braised ox cheek amid thick truffle sauce flaunts an abundance of clever cooking styles brought together to create a lively and entertaining main. Details matter, with food allergies picked up at booking, a polite and focused serving staff effortlessly working the cosy room, and – how’s this for chic – a forager who haunts the isle of Arran sourcing wild leaves, seaweeds and herbs to enhance the next imaginative dish. What more can a restaurant do to impress?
- High point: Classy, colourful and stylish cooking
- Low point: At a price (although the Market Menu is excellent value)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 23
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz
- Capacity: 52
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2008
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £6 corkage
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of Cail Bruich./5 from RSS feed of these comments