Henricks Bar & Bistro
- Telephone 0131 229 2442
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10am–1am
- Food served Mon–Fri 10am–10pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–7pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.henricksbar.com
Jump to comments (11)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
This bistro bar on the edge of the Meadows has carved a niche between formal dining and local pub grub. It attracts a pre-theatre crowd with the King's near-by, lunchtime couples, those seeking brunch at week-ends, late-night drinkers and many in between. The compact menu offers 'house favourites' such as a Henrick's burger, along with seasonal dishes – in winter expect venison stew or wild mushroom linguine. It covers the basics well without trying too hard: beautifully cooked salmon fillet in a light, lemony dill sauce with mange touts, for example, and well-presented fish n' chips, though the linguine oversteps comfort into heavy creaminess. The wine list leans heavily to Australia where the manager did a harvest in 2007, there is lots to try by the glass and, if keen, you can join the regular wine club (first Monday of the month). If booking, avoid the table by the door in winter, but remember the great, wee patio area at the back for al fresco dining in summer.
- High point: The fish - simple and done well
- Low point: Pasta too rich and creamy
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Varied easy listening
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2006 (2010 under current owners)
- House wine: £15.25 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 9 reviews of Henricks Bar & Bistro./5 from RSS feed of these comments