- Telephone 0131 556 0006
- Seasonal times Mon–Sun noon–11pm during Festival
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £7.90 (set lunch); £12.90 (set evening meal)
- Website www.pierrevictoirerestaurant.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
No story of Edinburgh’s dining scene in the last two decades can be fully told without Pierre Victoire being mentioned. Through thick and thin, ups and downs, Pierre Levicky is still part of the scene; these days he’s operating in relative seclusion at the lower end of the New Town near Canonmills. The medium-sized, and still popular, restaurant of today is probably not the PV of old – although the accents, the scribbled blackboards and the ever-present classic dishes of garlic snails, frog’s legs and moules frites are as essential as the bentwood café chairs and red-checked tablecloths. The sense of spontaneity – which on different nights and to different folk can be translated either as enjoyable buzz or impending chaos – is attractive, and there’s always likely to be something on the menu to draw you in. A focus on keen prices means that cheaper cuts are a regular feature: featherblade, for example, is the focus of a hearty and delicious main. At other times, a lack of due care and attention mars simple dishes, the case in an over-dressed salad or a slapdash cheese board. [Not recently visited.]
- High point: Cheap and cheerful
- Low point: Inconsistent
- Private dining: Up to 45 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: May 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Chez Pierre5 Jun 2008
Sometimes we get a bit too serious about food. But then it is a serious business, it’s what keeps us upright, but like any realm of human interest some folk, among them food journalists and chefs, become just a bit too earnest about the whole subject.
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 18 reviews of Pierre Victoire./5 from RSS feed of these comments