Wedgwood the Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 558 8737
- Seasonal times Closed for 3 weeks from new years day.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm, 6–9.45pm; Sun 12.30–3pm, 6–10pm.
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Website www.wedgwoodtherestaurant.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
This popular Royal Mile restaurant has been serving consistently good food since opening in 2007. The exciting menu offers unusual twists on seasonal Scottish produce such as lobster thermidor as a crème brûlée with a Bloody Mary sorbet to balance the richness. Wild Scottish deer, served pink, has a real depth of flavour and comes with a tasty venison haggis. Foraged leaves and herbs, many found within the city, are a real passion of chef Paul Wedgwood and start to appear in the dishes during the warmer months. And it’s good to know that the beautifully presented seabass and clams are sustainably sourced, as is all the seafood. Desserts range from the inventive parsnip crème brûlée with thyme ice-cream (it works!) to probably the best sticky toffee pudding in the city. Whether you are sitting in the softly lit street-level dining room or the snug basement you can relax in the knowledge that you won’t be rushed as the table is yours for the evening.
- High point: Sticky toffee pudding
- Low point: Gets very busy, so book in advance
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: nothing
- Capacity: 48
- Largest group: 48
- Open since: 2007
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Wedgwood the Restaurant - review13 Dec 2007
Edinburgh is a tourist city, and for restaurants that’s both a blessing and a curse. Tourists are hundreds of thousands of extra diners appearing at their collective door each year; look too closely to them, however, and you’ll be disparaged for…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 11 reviews of Wedgwood the Restaurant./5 from RSS feed of these comments