- Telephone 0131 661 6888
- Opening times Wed–Mon 5.30–11pm. Closed Tue.
- Food served Mon noon–2pm, 5.30–11pm; Wed–Sun 12.30–2pm, 5.30–11pm. Closed Tue.
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website rivagerestaurant.co.uk
Jump to comments (12)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Rivage may seem an understated presence from the outside, but there’s nothing low-key about the restaurant’s menu or the kitchen’s execution of it. Husband and wife team Ryad Meeajane and Catherine Thomson look after the kitchen and front of house respectively, and the benefits of this hands-on approach come through in both the food and the atmosphere. Their desire is to ensure a menu that offers only traditional pan-Indian cuisine, with no tikka masala or the like rearing its head. The menu is alive with intriguing options and ingredients – how often have you seen quail on the menu in an Indian restaurant? Among the starters, the sonfiyani machli (fillet of monkfish in a mustard-flavoured marinade) manages to feel delicate and substantial at the same time, a trick repeated with the attractively presented and very tasty chicken biryani. The menu alters seasonally and it’s also worthwhile asking about any off-menu specials that may be available, particularly for vegetarian diners, to whom the restaurant is keen to offer as wide a choice as possible.
One of the strongest Indian restaurants in the vicinity, Rivage doubles up as a top-quality Indian takeaway. Bookings can be made easily over the phone and staff offer speedy and accurate times for collection (the restaurant has yet to branch out to home delivery). A variety of tandoori standards and inventive specials share top billing, with staple curry accoutrements such as naan breads and pakora executed to such an accomplished standard that they must be amongst the best in the city.
- High point: Passion for food shines through
- Low point: Low lighting can make it appear closed
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- Delivery: Free (3-mile radius)
- Private dining: Up to 24 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Contemporary Indian music
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2007
- House wine: £12.15 per bottle
- BYOB: no charge corkage
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 9 reviews of Rivage./5 from RSS feed of these comments