- Telephone 0141 332 6303
- Food served Mon–Thu noon-2.30pm; 5–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight; Sun 5–11pm.
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.nanakusa.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Located bang in the middle of Glasgow’s nightlife scene, Nanakusa offers a funky, bright and open-plan space to relax away from the revelling crowds. Most diners on the bench-style seating are under forty all looking for authentic tasting food in cool surroundings. The menu is beyond huge and has somewhat tacky pictures attached, but don’t let that put you off as the cooking is on the whole impressive. Noodles, rice, curry, house specials, bento boxes and a dizzying array of sushi all feature. From the house specials try the soft shell crab, a rarity in Glasgow, executed well with light, crisp tempura batter surrounding the tasty, fresh crab morsels, a chilli and garlic dipping sauce adds flavour and spice to the finish. Teriyaki salmon makes a substantial main course, though the salmon may be a tad overdone, the sauce is excellent, particularly when accompanied with soft juicy egg noodles. For the sweet toothed, finish with banana tempura – the batter is crunchy, sweet and moreish, encasing warm soft banana, a great finish to the meal.
- High point: Soft shell crab
- Low point: Slightly too bright inside
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2007
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Nanakusa28 Feb 2008
There’s no such thing as a Japanese restaurant. So David Wan concluded during a fact-finding mission to the Far East last year – just as he was planning to open up such an establishment in Glasgow. There was no shortage of specialist bars selling sushi…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 6 reviews of Nanakusa./5 from RSS feed of these comments