The Italian Caffè
- Telephone 0141 552 3186
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri noon–6.30pm
- Average price £11.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.theitaliancaffe.co.uk
Jump to comments (9)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Being distinctive in Glasgow’s Italian scene isn’t easy, but The Italian Caffe has etched out a reputation that continues to serve it well. There’s an impressive wine collection on display as a focal point and the restaurant perhaps feels a little more formal than it should. Its take on Italian tapas is sublime, each dish prepared with skill and care. The menu is huge but easy to navigate – with antipasti and breads leading the way with vegetables, fish, meat and pizzettes following. As with many sharing menus, knowing what to pick proves tricky, but staff are on hand to lend a knowledgeable voice to proceedings. A must is the bruschetta with mascarpone and figs, while from the pastas, steak fillet with spaghetti provides a juicy chunk of meat in a delicate sauce. When dessert comes round – and the likelihood is that it will – anything involving the incredible ice cream will round off this epitome of modern Italian dining well.
- High point: Beautiful bruschettas
- Low point: Limited 'big' plate mains
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 37
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: instrumental jazz
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 16, Sun–Thu; 8, Fri/Sat
- Open since: 2007
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of The Italian Caffè./5 from RSS feed of these comments