Drill Hall Arts Café
- Telephone 0131 555 7100
- Bar open subject to events
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–5pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
- Website www.outoftheblue.org.uk
Jump to comments (6)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The creative and community spirit of Out of the Blue Arts @ The Drill Hall reveals itself in the quirky and generously portioned dishes offered at the café. Set midway down Leith Walk, this thriving arts venue boasts studio and production space for artists and musicians, as well as ping-pong nights, a monthly flea market and regular acoustic music sessions. At the centre of the renovated army building is the café, which also functions as a catering training scheme for young chefs. The decor harks back to the 1970s with red vinyl chairs and flowered plastic table cloths. Along with a range of soups, sandwiches and tarts produced with an admirable number of locally sourced ingredients, there are a few affordably priced mains. A cheddar-topped fish pie has a succulent filling of white fish, leeks and onions. A side of grilled vegetables dashed with balsamic vinegar also complements a large bowl of penne pasta tossed with chilli, fennel and spicy sausage. Raspberry ripple cake has a sweet cream cheese icing and the coffee is pleasantly strong. This is a place where big-hearted dishes are served in a funky atmosphere.
- High point: Appealing main dishes for a fiver or less
- Low point: It can be chilly, although ponchos are available
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2007
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 3 reviews of Drill Hall Arts Café./5 from RSS feed of these comments