- Telephone 0141 552 2777
- Food served Tue/Wed 5–10pm; Thu noon–2pm, 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 4–9pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue/Wed 5–6.30pm; Thu/Fri noon–6.30pm; Sat noon–6pm; Sun 4–6pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.koolba.com
Jump to comments (4)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Koolba began life as a Persian restaurant but Glasgow diners apparently made it clear they wanted curry. So a curryhouse – with Persian starters – it became. The change of direction was so successful that the team from KoolBa went on to earn a place alongside other top Glasgow restaurants competing in national Curry Capital contests. KoolBa is highly regarded, perhaps this is something to do with their motto: 'Please be aware everything is cooked fresh and with passion.' This ensures a lightness in each dish, untainted by rich oils and generic sauces. All the breads, also baked on site, are light and delicate. The pittas dip perfectly into the smooth, slightly spicy hummus and the naans are awesome. Given the skill in the kitchen, it might be nice if a few more Persian speciality mains had kept their spot on the menu. However, the curries are certainly tasty and made all the better by the star-studded beer list – featuring many award-winners and organics from Europe, Australia and elsewhere on the globe. This alone puts many Merchant City bars to shame.
- High point: Homemade hummus and pitta
- Low point: Almost spinach-less saag paneer
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Traditional Persian music
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2003
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of KoolBa./5 from RSS feed of these comments